Do you have a Visa Gift card lying around that is soon to expire, but you don’t know how and where to use it? Maybe you want to know if you can use your Visa Gift Card like an Amazon Gift card and use that to purchase online or elsewhere. Here’s some good news for you:
You can buy Amazon Gift Cards with Visa Gift Cards. First, you need to activate your Visa Gift Card for online use, then add it as a payment method on your Amazon account. You can then use your Visa Gift card to reload your amazon gift card balance, which you can use to shop on Amazon.
The rest of this article will talk about the step-by-step process of how you can use your existing Visa gift card to reload your amazon gift card balance and how to use it to shop on Amazon.
How To Buy Amazon Gift Cards With Visa Gift Cards?
The Visa Gift Card is a prepaid card that is, unfortunately, non-reloadable. The initial amount is set upon purchase, and you cannot change the amount later. Visa Gift cards are available online including Amazon or in popular retail stores throughout the U.S., such as 7-eleven, Walgreens, Walmart, and many others.
Like standard debit or credit visa cards, the Visa Gift Card shows the Visa logo on the front. Similarly, you can use them anywhere Visa cards are accepted – both online and in physical stores. You can use it to purchase in grocery stores, restaurants, gas stations, and much more.
This is where the problem lies: a Visa gift card has an expiration date, and you must use it before that date so your balance won’t go to waste. Or you can try an alternative to make your funds last longer.
One way to use your expiring Visa gift card is to turn it into an Amazon Gift card.
Amazon Gift cards are physical or digital gift cards with no expiry date, and you can use them to shop from the millions of items on Amazon, Kindle, and a few other online shops that accept them. Amazon gift cards are reloadable and can also be used in conjunction with other payment methods when shopping on Amazon.
You can convert your Visa Gift card to an amazon Gift card. This is an excellent choice if you have no idea where to use your balance and want to keep it for future use. Also, if you wish to purchase an expensive item on Amazon, you can use your amazon gift card with your debit or credit card simultaneously.
Now that you know why turning your visa gift card into an amazon gift card is a good choice, go get your visa gift card and let’s get started:
Activate Your Visa Gift Card for Online Shopping
The first thing you need to do to purchase an Amazon gift card using a Visa gift card is to activate your visa card for online use.
Here are the steps you need to do to activate your Visa gift card so you can use it to shop online:
- There is usually an activation link on the back of the card. Make a note of this.
- Visit the link or manually find the website of your Visa gift card and follow the instructions provided.
- You may need to enter information such as your full name, address, birthday, or Social Security number to register your card. Since you will be providing sensitive information, be sure to check if you are on the right website so you can avoid scams.
Check the Balance in Your Visa Gift Card
When making any purchases on Amazon, you will need to use just one card, since you can’t split payments between multiple cards. As you are using your Visa Gift card as a regular debit card, you will need to check your balance first to make sure that the price of the item is covered by the current balance on your Visa Gift card.
Related Article – Can You Buy a Visa Gift Card With an Amazon Gift Card? Full Guide!
To check how much balance is currently on your visa gift card, you need to call a toll-free number or visit a website. Here’s how:
- Check the back of your Visa gift card.
- There will be a website shown on the back of the card. Go to the website.
- You will be prompted to enter the 16-digit number of your gift card and the security code that you can find on the back side of your visa gift card.
Following the steps above, you should be able to know how much balance you have left on your Visa gift card. The next step is to link your Visa Gift card to your amazon account so you can use them to make purchases on Amazon.
Link Your Visa Gift Card to Your Amazon Account
After you have activated your Visa Gift Card, you can go ahead and add it as a payment method on Amazon using the same process as adding a standard debit or credit card.
- Head to Amazon.com and hover over Account & List.
- Go to your Account and then choose Your Payments.
- Beneath the Rewards & balances section, you will see your Amazon Gift Card Balance. Click on it, then click Reload your balance.
- Choose an amount indicated on the page, usually up to $100, or put in a customized amount in the box.
- Follow the steps to link the gift card by uploading your Visa gift card details.
- Make sure that you input complete and accurate information, as exactly as shown on the visa gift card. Go to Add your card.
- Type in your shipping and billing address, and you should be good to go.
Once you have added your Visa Gift Card as a payment method on your amazon account and used it to reload your Amazon gift card, you need to redeem your Amazon gift card balance. Don’t worry; the next section will discuss this process.
How To Use Your Amazon Gift Cards?
- In your Amazon account, add the item you want to purchase to your shopping cart and tick the checkbox to select the item. Then click Proceed to checkout.
- Choose the shipping address and the shipping method you want to use.
- Select your Amazon gift card balance as a payment method by clicking the box beside the Use your gift and promotional balance.
- Make sure that the order details you have entered are correct.
- Lastly, click Place your order.
When shopping on Amazon using your Amazon gift card balance, always check how many funds you currently have. You can easily check your Amazon gift card balance from your phone or a computer anytime. Here’s how:
- Sign in to your Amazon account and hover over the Account & List tab.
- On the drop-down menu, click Account.
- Then, select Gift cards.
- Your current balance will be displayed on the screen. You will also see your gift card transaction history and an option to reload your balance, redeem a gift card, and set an auto-reload schedule.
For your next purchases, you can choose not to use your Amazon gift card balance. To do this, simply deselect the box next to Use your gift and promotional balance.
That’s it! I hope these tips help. Happy Shopping!