Sometimes, we want to send a gift to our loved one who is living in a different country. Sending a physical gift often involves additional costs with custom duty. In such a scenario, you may wonder whether giving an Amazon Gift Card as a gift would be a suitable alternative?
But does the Amazon Gift Card work internationally?
Amazon gift cards do not work internationally. They can only be used within the country of purchase. However, you can purchase the gift card on the Amazon site of that specific country using your account. Doing so will allow you to gift and use the Amazon gift card in another country.
In the following paragraphs, I’ll discuss the reasons why Amazon gift cards don’t work internationally and share some alternatives to Amazon gift cards that do work internationally. By the time you’re done reading this article, you’ll know more about Amazon gift cards and how to use them internationally!
Why Do Amazon Gift Cards Not Work Internationally?
Amazon gift cards are a great way to send money to friends and family members living in other countries.
However, Amazon gift cards can only be used within the country of purchase. For example, if you purchase an Amazon gift card in the United States, it can only be redeemed by someone with a US-based Amazon account.
But what’s the logic behind this? Below are the main reasons why Amazon gift cards don’t work internationally.
Reasons Why Amazon Gift Cards Do Not Work Internationally
Here are some of the key reasons why Amazon doesn’t allow you to purchase and use Amazon gift cards in a different country:
One of the main reasons Amazon gift cards don’t work outside of the country where they were bought is that they are only valid in the country where they were bought. This is due to the fact that each country has its own currency.
For example, the United States uses USD (United States Dollars) while Europe uses EUR (Euros). As a result, it’s not possible to use an Amazon gift card purchased in one country to make a purchase in another country.
Different Payment Methods
Another reason why Amazon gift cards do not work internationally is because different countries have different payment methods.
For instance, in the United States, most people use credit cards as their primary form of payment. However, in many European countries, debit cards are more common. As a result, even if you were able to use your Amazon gift card internationally, you would likely have trouble finding a way to pay for your purchase.
Different Shipping Addresses
Finally, another reason why Amazon gift cards do not work internationally is because each country has its own shipping address format.
In the United States, most people use a street address format when providing their shipping address. However, in many European countries, people use a postal code format. As a result, even if you were able to use your Amazon gift card internationally, you would likely have trouble providing a valid shipping address.
Aside from these, there are more limitations to what you can do with Amazon Gift Cards.
Amazon Gift Cards Limitations
- Your Amazon.com balance cannot be used to purchase other Gift Cards, prepaid open loop cards, or certain third-party gift cards.
- Gift Cards cannot be reloaded and resold.
- Gift Cards cannot be used for payment outside of Amazon.com or its affiliated properties.
- Gift Cards cannot be used for unauthorized marketing, advertising, sweepstakes, and commercial or promotional purposes (including to facilitate the shipment or resale of goods from Amazon.com).
- Gift Cards cannot be redeemed for more than face value or transferred for value.
- Gift Cards cannot be redeemed for cash or returned for a cash refund (except to the extent required by law)
- No portion of your Amazon.com balance may be transferred to another Amazon.com account.
- Neither your Amazon.com balance nor your Gift Cards may be applied to the purchase of services or goods at any Amazon-affiliated property outside of the United States.
How to Buy Amazon Gift Cards for International Use?
By now, you are already aware that an Amazon gift card can only be used in the same country as the one in which it has been purchased.
Thus, the easiest way to send an Amazon gift card internationally is to purchase the gift card on the Amazon site of that respective country.
This means, if you want to send an Amazon gift card to someone in Germany, simply go to Amazon.de (Amazon site for the respective country) and purchase a gift card instead of purchasing it on Amazon.com.
To purchase the gift card for another country, follow the steps mentioned below –
- Open the Amazon site of the specific country in which it will be redeemed
- Visit the gift card page on the Amazon site
- Add the value of the card that you wish to purchase
- Enter the email address of the recipient
- Process the payment for the gift card
Before you proceed to purchase the card, you may be asked to login to an account. Simply use your existing account credentials from Amazon.com. If that doesn’t work, you can alternatively create a new account and proceed with the process.
Once the recipient opens the email, you should receive an email notification stating that the gift card was received by the recipient.
One drawback with this method is that not all countries have a dedicated Amazon website (there are dedicated sites for just 22 countries at the time of writing this article). Furthermore, the gift card option is not available in all countries that have a dedicated Amazon platform for their country.
How Do Amazon Gift Cards Work?
While Amazon Gift cards don’t work internationally, they are a great way to send money to someone in the United States.
To use it, you’ll need to redeem that card through your Amazon account before you can start using it.
The process to redeem an Amazon gift card only takes a few minutes and can be done through the Amazon website.
- Start your browser and go to Amazon.com. Log in to your Amazon account if you’re not already logged in.
- Click the “Account & Lists” drop-down in the upper right corner of the screen. A menu appears with two sections. One section is called Your Lists and the other section is called Your Account.
- Click “Your Account” in the Your Account section. A screen with information about your Amazon account appears.
- Click “Gift Cards” in the list of options toward the top of your account screen. A Sign In window appears, prompting you for the password associated with your account. Enter the password associated with your account, and then click “Sign In.” The Gift Card Balance screen associated with your account appears.
- Click “Redeem a Gift Card” in the blue box beneath View Gift Card Balance and Activity on the left side of the screen. You can also click “Redeem a Gift Card” in the section right below where the balance of your gift card is shown. The screen to Redeem or Check the Value of a Gift Card will show up.
- Locate the claim code on your Amazon gift card. This is usually found in the middle or upper right corner of the back of the gift card. If you haven’t done so already, you’ll likely need to scratch off the section covering up the claim code to display it. This can be done with the edge of some spare change, such as a quarter.
- Type the code in the Enter Claim Code field on the screen, and then click the yellow “Apply to Your Balance” button to the right of the field where you entered the claim code.
- A message will appear in a green box that says the amount associated with the gift card has been added to your account’s gift card balance. The new balance associated with all entered Amazon gift cards will appear to the right of the New Gift Card Balance on the screen.
Alternatives to Amazon Gift Cards That Do Work Internationally
If you’re looking for alternatives to Amazon gift cards that work internationally, here are a few options to consider:
This is a prepaid card that can be used to make online purchases. It’s available in 46 countries and can be used at over 4,000 online retailers, including Amazon.com.
To use Paysafecard, simply purchase a card from an authorized retailer and enter the 16-digit PIN at checkout. Paysafecard is a great option if you’re looking for alternatives to Amazon gift cards because it’s easy to use and widely accepted.
Plus, there’s no need to worry about exchange rates or international shipping fees.
Gyft is an online service that allows you to purchase, send, and redeem gift cards from over 200 retailers, including Amazon.com. Gyft also offers a mobile app that makes it easy to manage your gift cards on the go.
With Gyft, you can choose from a variety of delivery methods, including email, text message, or Facebook messenger. And best of all? Gyft cards never expire, and there are no fees associated with them. So, if you’re looking for alternatives to Amazon gift cards that work internationally and are convenient to use, Gyft is worth your consideration.
eGifter is another great option for buying and sending gift cards internationally. With eGifter, you can purchase gift cards from over 200 retailers, including Amazon.com. You can also choose from a variety of delivery methods, including email or text messages.
eGifter also offers a convenient mobile app so you can manage your gift cards on the go. And like Gyft, eGifter offers competitive rates with no hidden fees. So, eGifter is a great option if you want to find something like an Amazon gift card that works internationally and is easy to use.
Miniboxx is a UK-based company that specializes in delivering boxes full of goodies (think beauty products, snacks, etc.) straight to your doorsteps every month. They have an extensive list of international shipping destinations, so your friends and family overseas can still enjoy their monthly subscription boxes filled with delicious treats and must-have items.
Plus, with Miniboxx’s referral program, you can get £5 off your next box for every family member or friend who signs up using your unique referral code. So, if you’re looking for Amazon gift card alternatives that work internationally and are fun and exciting to get every month, then Miniboxx is definitely worth checking out.