Imagine this scenario: a friend just sent you an Amazon gift card on your birthday, but unfortunately, you don’t need anything from Amazon. What will you do with the card; leave it idling in your Amazon account? Perhaps you may consider returning it for cash.
Amazon gift cards are non-refundable once purchased. You can only redeem the gift card into a gift card balance and use this balance to shop for eligible products on Amazon. However, you can try other alternatives, like exchanging the card for money if you don’t want to shop on Amazon.
In the rest of this article, I’ll discuss the different ways to exchange an Amazon gift card for cash. I’ll also take you through the process of transferring your Amazon gift card to another account if you don’t want to use it. Stay tuned to learn more!
How To Exchange an Amazon Gift Card for Cash
According to Amazon’s refund terms and conditions, gift cards can’t be refunded since they don’t have a return policy. Once purchased, you can only use the gift card balance to shop on Amazon or use other means to exchange the card for cash.
It’s worth mentioning that Amazon is not liable for stolen, lost, or damaged gift cards. Thus, you must be vigilant when exchanging your card for cash.
Some of the ways you can exchange your Amazon gift card for cash include:
1. Buying and Reselling Amazon Products
This is a common way used by many people to get cash from their gift cards. It’s considered a safer approach because you’re not dealing with strangers. Moreover, you can buy high-demand items and resell them at a higher price for a profit.
Here’s how it works:
- You buy an item from Amazon using your gift card balance, then resell it on other platforms like eBay or Craigslist. The platform you choose to sell the item will determine the payment method you’ll receive. For example, you can get paid via PayPal if you sell on eBay.
- You can also join Amazon Mechanical Turk as an employer and have people complete your tasks. Once the tasks are done, you can opt to pay using your gift card balance instead of your account balance.
2. Selling Your Amazon Gift Card on a Gift Card Exchange Website
You can sell your Amazon gift card on a gift card exchange website to get cash quickly. These platforms connect buyers and sellers of different types of gift cards.
The most popular gift card exchange website is Raise. You’ll need to create an account and verify your identity before selling your Amazon gift card on this website. Once your account is verified, you can list your card for sale at a discount of up to 20%.
The money will be deposited into your Raise account when someone buys your gift card. You can then withdraw the funds to your PayPal or bank account.
Alternatively, you can choose to trade your Amazon gift card for another type of gift card on Raise. For example, you can exchange it for a Walmart or Target gift card.
3. Using Gift Card Exchange Kiosks
Gift card exchange kiosks work well with physical Amazon gift cards. To use this method, you’ll need to locate a gift card kiosk nearby and scrutinize it to ensure it accepts Amazon gift cards.
Once you find a kiosk, take your Amazon gift card, and the machine will scan it to determine its value. The kiosk will then make you an offer, and if you accept it, you’ll get paid in cash.
The amount of money you’ll receive from the kiosk depends on the gift card’s value and the kiosk’s exchange rate. Make sure you compare different kiosks before settling for one to ensure you get the best offer.
Some of the factors you should look for when selecting a gift card exchange kiosk are:
- The kiosk’s exchange rate.
- The type of gift cards the kiosk accepts.
- The kiosk’s location.
- The reviews of the kiosk.
Gift Card Granny is another excellent place to start your search for a gift card exchange kiosk.
Disadvantages of Exchanging Your Gift Card for Money
Although exchanging your gift card for cash is a faster way to get money, it has the following drawbacks:
- It’s risky: When dealing with strangers, there’s always the risk of getting scammed. For example, the buyer could cancel the payment after receiving the gift card or refuse to send you the money.
- It attracts fees: Gift card exchange platforms and kiosks usually charge a fee for their services. The fee can be a flat rate or a percentage of the gift card’s value.
- You’ll always be at a loss: Gift card stores and online retailers buy the card at a discount to make a profit by reselling it. Therefore, they buy the card at a lower price than its actual balance.
- It’s against Amazon’s terms of service: Amazon doesn’t allow the resale of its gift cards. Therefore, Amazon is not responsible in case you face any challenges in the process.
How To Transfer an Amazon Gift Card to a Friend
You can transfer your Amazon gift card balance to another account if you don’t want to use it. To do this, you’ll need the email address of the person you’re sending the gift card to.
However, Amazon stipulates that you can only transfer unredeemed gift cards to another account. Thus, you’ll have to un-redeem or remove the gift card from your account before transferring it if you have already redeemed its claim code.
As a customer, there is currently no way to unredeem a gift card from your account. So, your best bet is to contact Amazon Customer Service.
Alternatively, if you are unable to transfer the gift card to your friend, you can also sell it for cash (using any of the methods mentioned above), and purchase a new gift card for your friend using the following steps:
- Visit the Amazon Gift Cards Store and log into your Amazon account.
- Select eGift cards.
- Select your preferred card style.
- Choose the delivery method.
- Enter the recipient’s email address, your name, quantity, message, and expected delivery date.
- Click on “Buy Now” to complete the process.
If you have redeemed the gift card, reach out to Amazon’s customer support team for assistance in unredeeming it. This is the only way you can transfer it to another account.
You can opt to sell the card to a friend at a discount. The person you’re transferring it to should be able to use it to purchase Amazon products.
How To Return an Amazon Gift
Apart from gift cards, Amazon allows customers to return gifts. However, you can only return the gift for an exchange or replacement. Amazon doesn’t refund the buyer in cash.
You’ll need the following to return a gift:
- The order number of the gift.
- The email address or phone number of the person who sent you the gift.
- Your Amazon account password.
Once you meet these requirements, follow these steps to return a gift on Amazon:
- Log into your Amazon account.
- Navigate to the Returns Center.
- Input the order number for the product you want to return and hit search.
- Select the items you wish to return if you have multiple products.
- Click on the “Return items” button next to the gift you want to return.
- Choose the reason for return and hit continue.
- Select your preferred return method. You can use Amazon Hub Locker.
- Enter your contact information and hit submit.
- Amazon will process your request and send a confirmation email once it’s done.
It’s worth mentioning that you’ll have to submit a return request if the items were sold by a third party. Some sellers on Amazon review return requests before authorizing them. In this case, it might take long before getting a response on the status of your return request.