4 EASY Ways to Transfer Books to a New Kindle!
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may get a commission if you decide to purchase through my links, at no additional cost to you.
Upgrading to a new Kindle with the latest technology and features is an outstanding achievement if you enjoy reading. If you just bought a new Kindle, I’m sure you’re eager to start reading on it (I had a similar experience with my first Kindle Paperwhite). However, transferring books you bought or downloaded on the old Kindle to the new one can be a challenge.
You can transfer books to a new Kindle using an Amazon Kindle cloud account, a USB cable, a send-to-Kindle email address, or the Calibre app. These methods bridge the gap between your new Kindle and the old one, making it possible to transfer books.
Kindles make a great gift and provide endless hours of pleasurable reading time, but it’s not always easy to get started!
In the rest of this article, I’ll take you through each way to transfer books to a new Kindle. I’ll elaborate on each procedure to make everything a breeze for you. Let’s get started!
1. Transfer Kindle Books Using Amazon Kindle Cloud Account
The Kindle Cloud account allows Kindle users to access and read their books on a browser. It also makes it easier to transfer books from one Kindle to another.
However, it’s worth noting that this method only works for books purchased from Amazon. Thus, using this approach, you can’t transfer downloaded books to a new Kindle.
Here is how to transfer books to your new Kindle using a cloud account:
Step 1 – Log In to Your Kindle Cloud Account on the New Kindle
Use the new Kindle to log in to the Kindle Cloud account you used on the old device. In most cases, the account links directly to your email address.
Logging into this account allows you to access all associated books.
Step 2 – Navigate To “Manage Your Content and Devices”
Once logged in to the account, scroll to “Settings” and click the “Manage your content and devices” option.
Alternatively, you can access this option from your Amazon account’s homepage using the below procedure:
- Hover the cursor on your name or the “Hello” section.
- Scroll through the drop-down menu and select “Content & Devices.”
- View all the books associated with your cloud account.
Step 3 – Select the Book You Want To Transfer
Scroll through the book list and select the one you wish to transfer to the new Kindle. After that, follow the procedure below:
- Navigate to “Deliver to Device” after choosing the specific books.
- Scroll down and click on “More Options.”
Step 4 – Select the Kindle You Want To Transfer the Book To
After clicking on “More Options,” a menu will appear where you may select where you want to transfer the book. In this case, you should choose the new Kindle device. The book will automatically transfer to this new Kindle, and you can start reading.
Expert Tip: You can’t access the same Kindle cloud account from different Amazon accounts. Therefore, you must register your two Kindles to the same Amazon account.
What To Do if You Can’t Access the Books You Want To Transfer
Sometimes, it’s possible to log in to the same Kindle cloud account with your Amazon account but fail to locate your books. If this happens, ensure the new Kindle is connected to the internet and synchronizing. Here’s how to achieve that:
- Log in to your Amazon account.
- Navigate to “Settings.”
- Click on “Advanced Options.”
- Check the “Whispersync for Books” option to ensure it’s enabled. If not, select and enable it.
2. Transfer Kindle Books Using a USB Cable
There are two situations in which you can’t use the first method to transfer your Kindle books:
- You downloaded the books from other websites and not Amazon.
- Your Kindle is not connected to the internet or has a weak WiFi signal.
If you encounter any of the above situations, a USB cable becomes your option to transfer the books. Here is how to use a USB cable:
- Connect your old Kindle to a computer using a USB cable.
- Navigate to “File Explorer” on your computer. Alternatively, you can use the “Kindle Manager Program” on the computer.
- Copy the books you want to transfer from the old Kindle to a folder on the PC.
- Disconnect the USB cable from the old Kindle and connect it to the new Kindle.
- Move the books from the folder on the PC to your new Kindle.
Download and Transfer Books Using a USB
This method is an alternative approach to transferring your books using a USB. However, this will require an internet connection. Here is the procedure:
- Log in to your Amazon account on the old Kindle.
- Navigate to “Manage Your Content and Device.”
- Scroll to the “Content” tab.
- Select “Action.”
- Navigate to “Download & Transfer via USB” on the drop-down menu.
- Choose where you want to save the downloaded files on your PC and click “Save.”
- Disconnect the old Kindle from the USB and connect the new one.
- Select and move the books you downloaded to the new Kindle.
3. Transfer Books via Calibre App
The Calibre app makes the management of eBooks much easier. The app is available for free on Windows, Mac, and Linux computers. Apart from transferring books, you can use the app to convert them into other formats.
The first step is to download the app on your PC. You’ll need an internet connection for this. After downloading, use the below procedure to transfer your Kindle books:
- Open the app’s installation wizard on your PC and wait for the installation process to complete.
- The setup wizard will pop up once the installation is over. You’ll be required to choose a device model from this wizard. In this case, select your Kindle version.
- Add your Amazon account’s email and finish the setup process.
- Connect the old Kindle to the PC and wait for the Calibre app to recognize it.
- Navigate to the “On Device” option to view the books on your old Kindle.
- The available books will have an “On Device” status. Right-click on each book you wish to transfer that has this status.
- Select “Move it to the Library” once you’ve selected the books you want to transfer. This action moves the books to the Calibre app.
- Disconnect the old Kindle from the computer and connect the new one.
- Right-click on the books you transferred, now in the Calibre app’s library collection. The books should now not have the “On Device” status.
- Select “Send to Device” after right-clicking to transfer the books to your new Kindle.
4. Transfer Books Using the Send-to-Kindle Email Address
This method is the final alternative to transfer books from the old to a new Kindle. It’s more straightforward since you don’t need a USB cable or the Calibre app.
A send-to-Kindle email address is an email address that Amazon assigns each Kindle device. Therefore, your new and old Kindles have a unique “Send-to-Kindle” email address.
Here is the procedure to locate your new Kindle’s email address:
- Connect the new Kindle to the internet and open “Settings.”
- Navigate to “Account Settings.”
- Note your new Kindle email address as the last option. It has a “Send-to-Kindle Email” tag.
After locating the email address, it’s time to transfer books from your old Kindle. Here is the procedure:
- Compose a new email from your old Kindle.
- Input your new Kindle email address (the one you noted in the above process) in the recipient’s section.
- Select and attach the books you want to transfer. This option allows only 25 books ago.
- Click send.
- You should receive an email notification on your new Kindle with your books as attachments.
- Download the attached books and start reading them on the new Kindle.
These are the four best ways to transfer books to a new Kindle. However, you can Contact Amazon if you encounter issues during the process.