When most people receive an Amazon gift card, one of the first things they want to do is figure out how to spend it. But what if you don’t want to use your gift card to shop on Amazon and want to convert it into cash instead? Can you transfer your Amazon gift card balance to your bank account?
You can’t transfer an Amazon gift card balance directly to your bank account. However, you can sell it to someone else using an online platform (like eBay), or a gift card exchange kiosk. You could also use it to buy and resell Amazon products.
In the rest of this article, I’ll take you through how you can get convert your gift card to cash in your bank account by selling or exchanging it.
1. Sell the Gift Card to a Friend or Relative
A popular way of getting money from an unwanted Amazon gift card is to sell it to someone else. Amazon is a huge online store and their gift cards are always in demand. This means that your chances of selling it are high.
After selling your gift card, you can transfer it to another person’s Amazon account. They can then reimburse you through a bank transfer. This approach can work well if you sell the gift card at a discount.
It’s worth noting that you can’t directly transfer an Amazon gift card balance to another account. You’ll first have to unredeem the balance to an Amazon gift card, and then transfer the gift card to another account.
You can unredeem your Amazon gift card balance by contacting Amazon customer support using the steps below:
- Log in to your Amazon account.
- Head over to the Amazon Help Center.
- Click on “Start Chatting.” Alternatively, you can schedule a call to have the Amazon customer support team call you.
- If you opt to chat, a chat window will pop out to start a chat with the support team.
- Choose the “Manage my account, gift cards, and prime” option.
- Initiate the conversation with the helper in the chat box.
- Explain your issues and tell them that you would like to unredeem a gift card.
- The customer support team will help you to unredeem your gift card’s claim code and revert the gift card into your Amazon account. You can then transfer the gift card to your buyer’s account.
2. Sell the Amazon Gift Card at a Gift Card Exchange Kiosk
Gift card exchange kiosks are present in many shopping malls. The kiosks are operated by companies that buy unwanted or unused gift cards at a discount.
If you decide to use a gift card exchange, they will scan your Amazon gift card to determine how much they’re willing to pay for the card. Once you agree on a price, they’ll pay you through PayPal, check, or bank account.
The payment is usually processed within 24 hours, making it a quick and convenient way to get money into your bank account. The process is also straightforward as you only need to walk to a kiosk and sell your card.
Kiosks buy Amazon gift cards at varying discounts. Therefore, before selling your card, you should scrutinize and compare several gift card exchange kiosks.
When choosing a gift card exchange kiosk, consider the following before making a final decision:
- The kiosk’s location
- The kiosk’s reputation (you might need to look at their reviews online)
- The payment method used
- The percentage of the gift card value they typically pay
You can use the following websites to find a gift card exchange kiosk near you:
3. Sell the Amazon Gift Card on eBay
You can also sell your Amazon gift card on eBay. The platform has a vast customer base, which increases your chances of selling the card at your desired price. This means that you can get rid of it quickly and have the money in your bank account by selling it at a discounted price.
Selling an Amazon gift card on eBay is easy if you already have an eBay account. If you don’t, creating one only takes a few minutes.
Bear in mind that when you sell something on eBay, you will be charged a selling fee (a small percentage of your profits) which will be deducted from your proceeds.
You can use the following steps to sell your Amazon gift card on eBay:
- Create an eBay seller account if you don’t have one.
- Log into your account and click on the “Sell” tab.
- List your Amazon gift card and its worth, including the discount.
- Enter the shipping method (for a gift card, you’ll probably send it in an envelope, and could use the first class mail service). There is also an option for the buyer to collect it in person, which can eliminate the shipping cost.
- Wait for an interested buyer to contact you, or wait for the bidding to end. Bidding is typically seven days but your gift card will be put up for sale for another week if it doesn’t sell.
Expert Tip: Don’t include the card’s claim code when listing it for sale. A person can use the code to redeem your gift card without buying it.
If you don’t feel like selling it on eBay, you could always list it on another online platform, such as Facebook Marketplace or in local selling groups.
4. Buy and Resell Amazon Products
You can use your Amazon gift card balance to buy Amazon products and resell them on platforms like eBay and Craigslist to get some money into your bank account.
The advantage of this method is that you don’t have to wait for a buyer to purchase your card. However, you will need to wait for them to pay for the item you’re reselling, so it’s worth buying something popular.
Remember that bulky item will come with a more expensive shipping cost, and a small and compact item could be a better option. What you buy and resell will also depend on the gift card’s value.
Here is the procedure to buy and resell Amazon products:
- Log into your Amazon account.
- Browse through Amazon’s product catalog and choose the product you want to buy.
- Add the products to your cart and checkout using your gift card balance.
- Wait for the products to be delivered to you. If you already have Amazon Prime, they should arrive in the next few days, if not tomorrow.
- List the products on eBay, Craigslist, or your chosen online selling platform.
Other Ways To Use Your Amazon Gift Card Balance
Trying to get cash in your bank account from an Amazon gift card balance can be tedious. This might encourage you to use the gift card on Amazon instead.
I’ve written a detailed guide on what places you can use an Amazon Gift Card. Make sure to check that out as well!
Some of the ways to use your Amazon gift card balance are:
- Shop on Amazon: Browse the products on Amazon and buy them using your gift card balance. If you can’t find anything you like, consider buying household supplies or toiletries. This can help you save money, and you might even find that they are cheaper than where you usually shop.
- Donate to charity: You can donate your Amazon gift card balance to charity. Some popular charities that accept Amazon donations include the American Red Cross, Save the Children, St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital, and World Vision.
- Keep it for later. Did you know the Amazon gift cards never expire? If you can’t find anything you want to buy, you could always keep the balance for later. It may come in handy if you need to buy someone a gift, or you need something in the future.
How To Send a Physical Amazon Gift Card
Physical Amazon gift cards are always well-received, and they are very convenient to buy. You can buy printable and digital Amazon gift cards on their website, or you can buy plastic ones at selected retailers.
You can also request that your gift card is delivered to your recipient by email on the specified date.
However, a physical gift card may take longer as it involves delivering the card physically.
The process below will help you buy and gift a physical Amazon gift card:
- Log in to your Amazon account.
- Navigate to the Amazon Gift Card Store.
- Click on “Physical gift cards.”
- Choose your desired gift card style. They come in a range of colors and patterns to suit your recipient.
- Click on “Buy Now” to complete the process.
- Input the address where you want the card to be delivered.
- Wait for the gift card to be delivered and give it to your recipient.
Can I Use My Amazon Gift Card Balance More Than Once?
You can use your Amazon gift card balance multiple times to shop on Amazon. The balance is linked to your Amazon account, and you can use it to make purchases until the card value has been depleted.
When making a purchase, Amazon will deduct the amount from your gift card balance before billing any other payment method you have on file.
For more information on Amazon gift card balances, check out this article.